Monday, June 29, 2009

God answers prayers...

but He loves to do it in His own time, and not ours. Haha. I love it!

So, I was having knee problems as I mentioned in my last post, and I was getting ready to go on the Wilderness trip. The trip involved much hiking, and it was the ups and downs that really caused my knee to hurt. So, needless to say, I was a bit worried about doing the trip. I tried to talk my way out of going on it, but Greg needed me to do it with one of the new video guys because I knew the trip really well. I got my knee prayed over 3 or 4 times for healing, and nothing changed, so I accepted the fact that the Lord probably had a lesson to teach me.

I went on the trip, and the first day, I kept praying that the Lord would be my strength, and that He would help me through the Wilderness with my bum knee. Wouldn't you know it, my knee didn't feel any better or worse, so I took that as the Lord answering that prayer for strength. (He loves to step into our weakness and be our strength) The second day, we got up at 4am to climb Mt. Etna and watch the sunrise with the kids, and my knee held up on the way up, but it hurt pretty bad on the way down. I was a little frustrated at first, but I never got really upset or discouraged.

So, I made it out of the Wilderness with little-to-no knee pain. Praise the Lord! The amazing part is that it's been 2 days since that trip now, and my knee is at 90%. I feel no pain. So, in retrospect, the Lord said "I'll heal you. But not until you learn dependence upon me as your source of strength, and not your own legs." Make me laugh.

Within our video crew there's been a theme of learning dependence upon God in desperate times. It's our own fault too. About 3 weeks ago, we all felt that as a group we needed to be desperate for God. We talked about how we are out here doing a job that we all love, and that some of us are seeking a career in, and how a lot of the other summer staff are working jobs that they don't necessarily enjoy and have to depend on the Lord to get them through every day. We wanted that sense of desperation. So, we got on our faces and asked for it. Over the next week, we experienced a theft (Greg and Chase's laptops, my electric shaver, my headphones, and other various personal items-- weirdest theft ever since my laptop and other very expensive equipment was left), and my knee got busted up. At the end of that week, we were in a time of worship and prayer with some of the staff, and the Lord reminded us of the desperation we had asked for, and showed us that He's been allowing us to experience that. Funny how He answers prayers. Chase and Greg both talked about how even though they both lost their laptops (Greg runs a company off of his), they both had a peace that transcends understanding over the whole situation. Chase made a good point that we are not our own, and therefore, nothing we have truly belongs to us. I heard it said in a sermon once that we are not owners of anything, but only managers (something like that).

So, yeah, all of that to say that the Lord answers prayers, and He does it in His own way and His own time-- the best way and the best time.

Well, I'm off to the coast for a couple days to film and hang out with the junior high group. They sleep in the Redwood Forest tonight, and then go surfing tomorrow. Wednesday, we'll got jet-boating on the river, and eat one of the best meals of the summer. I love my job!

Be Blessed!

No comments: